Monday, July 20, 2009

Wine tasting with the family, cont'd

I'm finally going to finish my earlier posting. I already described all the wines we tasted first: 3 whites, 3 reds, now I'm going to describe the Malbec.

Everyone was getting really into the tasting and food pairing, so I decided to go ahead and open the Malbec, which was really nice to have last. At that point, everyone's palates were getting tired, but we still wanted to test our articulation and wine critiquing skills, so a fruity, easy-to-drink Malbec was perfect. Low in tannins, low in astringency, this was definitely a nice conclusion.

Ben Marco 2007, Mendoza, Argentina: $14. As with most Malbecs, it was fruit-forward full of ripe cherry, plum, and raspberries. It had a fairly short and simple finish and was exactly as I said before: easy drinking. Everyone liked it, but I'm not sure if it's because we had already tasted so many things, or people were getting drunk, or if it was the great price point. Regardless, I'll definitely try it again to find out for sure. Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment