Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Wine tasting with the family

I recently hosted a wine tasting for my parents and my aunt and uncle. Since there would only be five of us, I wanted to keep it simple and taste 2 whites, 2 reds. But as my parents have been collecting (and forgetting) dozens of wines over the years, my mom suggested we try 6-7. This made it a lot more fun for me!

How it worked: We did a blind tasting of 3 whites, stopped to talk about each then revealed them afterwards, then 3 reds following the same procedure.

1. Brander Sauvignon Blanc, 2008, Santa Ynez, CA: $15 from the winery. It was exactly what you'd expect from a sauv blanc: light body, refreshing acidity, aromas and flavors of grass, citrus, and some green apple. It also paired nicely with the green olives we had. It wasn't my favorite Sauv blanc, it fell a little flat and i prefer more citrus and crispness on the palate.

2. Crios Torrontes, 2008, Mendoza, Argentina: $12 from Costco. This was also exactly what you'd expect from a Torrontes: light body, ripe tree fruit, melon, and some citrus on the palate with a short and crisp finish. Very floral on the nose, with aromas of lychee and plumeria. Everyone really enjoyed this and had no idea what varietal it was (I think it was their first time trying a Torrontes). My main take-away from this wine, was that it was very simple and drinkable. I think this is perfect for my parents that like an easy sipping wine, especially on a warm summer afternoon out on the patio.

3. La Crema Chardonnay, 2006, Napa, CA: $15 from Costco. CORKED! Too bad. But I dont really care for Chardonnay anyhow. My aunt is a big fan of classic oaky, buttery Chards and she of course knew in a second that this wine was not right. The rest of my family thought that it was supposed to smell moldy, and like damp towels. We still tasted it anyway, and it definitely maintain its buttery/oaky/toasty flavor, but we moved on fairly quickly.

4. J Winery Pinot Noir, 2004, Russian River Valley, CA: $50? from winery. I'm not sure about the price because when I went there recently, I believe their 2005 and 2006 pinots are around $50, so the '04 must've been around the same when we bought it. My sister, however, feels strongly that she paid $70 for this a few years ago when she bought it for my folks. I dont really believe her, so i'm going to call the winery and see if they know. Anyway, it was delicious! Light bodied, subtle tannins, inviting aromas of ripe cherries, plums, and some iodine. Smooth over the palate, finishing with a slight chalkiness in the back of the throat. Everyone guessed it was a pinot, but my mom thought maybe it was a merlot. i tried to keep them guessing so i reminded them that tannins smooth out over time, and since this wine was already 5 years old, it could be a light-style smooth aged merlot. Fooled them!

5. Ponte Family Sangiovese, Temecula, CA: $35 from winery. My aunt and uncle brought this over. Bright cherry, notes of tobacco, and a very subtle hint of soap (not unpleasant). It had a somewhat rough texture, but would pair nicely with something rich and fatty like duck. My mom did not like this one at first (because of it's tartness and astringent finish) but when I reminded her that we were just sipping these and not necessarily pairing with the right items (other than 3 types of cheese), she changed her mind.

6. BV Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, 2003, Napa, CA: $65 from winery. It's as if everyone already knew this was the most expensive and also nicely aged. As soon as they smelled it, they were oo-ing and aah-ing. Personally I think it's because they assumed I did in fact save the best for last. Anyway, it was full bodied, with smooth yet structured tannins. Rich with black cherry, cassis, and hints of leather. The finish was moderate, laced with pleasant tannins. I think this would be perfect with a delcious steak (surprise surprise) and since my dad has 2 more bottles, i recommended that he brings it to Ruth's Chris next time they go.

Phew. I'm tired of writing for now, but I'm not quite done describing our tasting. I still have to talk about the Malbec we randomly decided to open after the tasting. But in the mean time, let me know your thoughts and whether you agree/disagree on my review of these wines!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    I work with Tom and he and I have talked about the love of wine a few times. He told me about your blog. I'm looking forward to learning and hearing more. Keep tasting and writing.
    Thx
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi! Thanks for checking out my blog! I am also looking forward to tasting and writing--and reading your comments! Cheers, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura,

    You hosted an excellent wine tasting and your recap of the event has been very informative. Let's schedule another and maybe focus on whites and reds from Argentina. Good job, Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! I fully support that notion! Not sure yet if i'm coming down to LA the weekend of August 7, but if I do, we should definitely do round 2!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you can come, Shel! but you and i have to promise not to go on and on about the flavors/aromas/etc. our friends will get mad :(

    ReplyDelete